March 1, 1973, the first meeting of 15 volunteers representing both organizations met in Washington, D.C. to begin formal discussions of the merger and to start writing bylaws for the proposed new association. The purpose and objectives of the new association, incorporated into the first bylaws, brought greater definition to our industry. They Include:
- Represent the architectural openings industry as a major component of the construction industry
- Work with the architectural profession in the selection and specification of suitable quality materials consistent with consumers’ needs
- Provide the qualified technicians to properly engineer, manufacture, specify and detail quality materials and components for standard and special construction details
- Establish educational programs, both technical and managerial, and administer the program for certification for the benefit of the industry
- Establish recommended codes of conduct to elevate the professional level of those engaged as technicians
- Promote and maintain understanding and cooperation among members and others to advance these common interests
- Work continuously toward efficiency of operation through improved management techniques
Over the last 10 years, DHI has taken a hard look at what members need as they grow professionally and help their companies prosper. With extensive research and a new outlook in mind, DHI has created countless new initiatives to help ensure your future success — from the transformation of DHI certifications to the advancement of industry advocacy efforts.
This year, in addition to celebrating our heritage, DHI is also celebrating the more recent successes that have emerged from the "New Day, New DHI" era of our association.
DHI has made a concerted effort to evolve over the last few years, taking into account what members needed to grow professionally and for their companies to prosper. With this new perspective and outlook, DHI created countless new initiatives to help ensure the future success of its members.
Learn more about the New Day, New DHI era of this association.